7/5/10

DIY Pelmet Box



This project has been on my "to do" list for a long time! I've always loved the dressed up look of pelmet boxes, but didn't want to invest in a scroll saw (or any of the other tools you probably need for that matter). I saw a tutorial for pelmet boxes on Little Green Notebook about a year ago, she made them using foam core board!!! I thought it was a BRILLIANT idea! I could definitely do that, so I did!
•••

What I used:

• 2 sheets of foam core board, you can get it an any craft store
• batting
• fabric
• staple gun
• glue gun
• exacto knife
• curtain rod
• packaging tape

What I did:

First I sketched half of my pelmet box shape onto the foam core, I cut it out with an exacto knife and used it for a template.



Next I cut out all 4 pieces (I made 2 boxes) and cut smaller pieces for the sides of my boxes.



Then I just used packaging tape and taped the whole thing together...





...and laid it out onto the batting and fabric



Then I just pulled and stapled the fabric and batting to the board. Tip: cut slits in the fabric around the rounded parts to get the fabric to lay flat.



To hang the box, I hot glued a curtain rod to the back of the sides and hung it on the wall, super easy!



The Window
Before and After

•••

Originally posted on Crazy Domestic 6/2010 by Megan

3 comments: