7/12/10

No-Fly-Away Shower CurtainTablecloth from This Present Life

Every Spring I have high expectations of turning my backyard into the kind of outdoor living space you would see in Better Homes and Gardens. And every Spring I fall short of that goal (way short...like I don't even get started). However, this year I vowed it would be different. 

So I picked up this little table at Target for $34.


Then I went in search of a cute tablecloth to add some fun color. I caught a glimpse of the shower curtain aisle and I thought to myself, "what if I used a plastic shower curtain instead? It's plastic, it can handle being outside, and surely there will be more designs to choose from." I was SO excited when I found this shower curtain!



This was exactly the fun punch of color I was hoping for! I was thinking about what I would place on top of the table to weigh down the tablecloth so it wouldn't fly away. Then I thought, "what if I sew elastic around the bottom so it would keep itself in place without the need for something to weigh it down." It's sort of like a shower curtain cap for your table. See, genius, right? So I got to work.

My table has a diameter of 28". I decided to add 12" to the diameter, making my tablecloth diameter 40".

Here's where you need to recall your high school geometry. Remember, the diameter is the measurement across the whole circle. The radius is the measurement from the center of the circle to the outside of the circle. This is the measurement you will need. For a 40" diameter, the radius is 20" (this seemed a lot harder in high school).

  • Now that you have that measurement, you need to tie a string to a pen or marker leaving 20" (or whatever your radius is) of slack. 
  • Lay out your shower curtain on a large table or the floor. It would be easier if you have someone to help you with this next step or you can just sort of wing it (like I did). 

  • Now, hold the end of your string with one hand and keeping the string tight, draw your circle. 
Make sure you like the image that will be the center because that's what will show up on your table top.


Next I pinned about 1 1/2" casing around the entire tablecloth (no longer a shower curtain!). I'm sure if you're an expert sewer and you see my pinning job you'll be horrified, but I had never tried to sew around a circle before. And truly, this project is very forgiving so it doesn't really matter how sloppy the sewing job is.


  • Make sure when you're sewing that you leave an opening to feed your elastic through. I cut a "V" to make it easier to access the casing. Now just feed it through your sewing machine like any other project.

  • Finally, it's time to feed your elastic through the casing. I started with a 3/8" elastic (because that's what I had) that was 72" in length. It's better to start with way more elastic than you will use so you can feed it all the way through and then pull it to the desired length. Pin one end of your elastic with a safety pin and begin feeding it through the "V" you've cut in your casing. 
  • Once you've fed it all the way through to the other side, begin pulling your elastic and scrunching up your tablecloth to get the desired form. It really will look like a giant shower cap. Once you have the desired form, pin the 2 ends of the elastic together and do a dry run fitting on your table to make sure it fits properly. Once you have the right fit, cut off your extra elastic (I cut off 35") and sew the 2 ends together. Here's what mine looked like after I was finished with my elastic.


And here's what it looks like on my table...


So cute, right!?! It's sooooo much cuter than the plastic tablecloth I ALMOST settled for. And the best part is I don't have to keep anything on the table to weigh it down because it's not going anywhere!


I absolutely LOVE how this project turned out! Now I'm more motivated than ever to make my backyard oasis a reality! Stay tuned for more progress...Better Homes and Gardens, here I come!
 •••
To see more of Rebecca's fun projects, visit This Present Life.

To have your ideas featured on somewhat simple, please fill out THIS form.  

20 comments:

  1. that is adorable! reminds me of these things I used to buy for my kitchen table before craft time...love the pop of bright color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is adorable! reminds me of these things I used to buy for my kitchen table before craft time...love the pop of bright color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic idea! So easy, and water resistance..love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing!!! I have a round table I'm making a table cloth for and I think I'm going to use this method to get a sure fit and not have to worry about the kids pulling it off the table!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is totally cool...never thought about a shower curtain but I like this idea so much better than other tablecloths I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant!! I love just loving it. Cute cute cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh ... I'm inspired by this.. Yes.. every spring.. I have the same visions.. that die before they even get started..

    I'll try this for sure... thanks... its super cute !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that's just brilliant! I would be scared to sew through that plastic. Now I won't be. Thanks!

    And I just have to say....when will we all learn that the answer to most of life's problems....is.....
    T-A-R-G-E-T.
    It's just the truth!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute!! Where did you find the tablecloth?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your right, it really is genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! It is so cute too! Now you got a pretty table.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you could make matching pillows for your chairs. Wouldnt that be ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your idea and the table is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea!


    Kelli
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am going to try this for table cloths that we need when we go camping and the park table is too disgusting to eat on! Yeah - I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I had your creative brain! Love the blog!

    Peaceful wishes,
    Melissa Jo
    http://thecutestchaos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute idea, I've never seen that but I am definitely trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. awww, that's so cute. And in the pic after you put in the elastic, it looks like a shower cap; a shower cap for your table. :)

    ReplyDelete